Tag: Add new tag
The Writer’s Astrological Almanac
by Kathy Watts
This month begins on a Thursday (Jupiter’s day of the week)
with the Moon in Libra, entering Scorpio by early afternoon.
I take that as a trend for the month, beginning smoothly
with big plans, and ramping up as the days go by. Let’s see
how much we can get done!
Fri Sep 02 the Moon is in Scorpio when the Sun exactly
trines Jupiter. Keep your eye on the big project and don’t
get complacent if it’s going well.
Tue Sep 06 the Moon conjuncts Pluto in Capricorn. We see
this at least once a month, but it’s good for getting work
done (especially today, on a Mars day) if we can stay calm
enough to do it.
Wed Sep 07 the Moon is in Capricorn all day. It’s another
month of Wednesdays with the Moon in a cardinal sign. Start
things, but don’t let them languish. The Moon makes an
opposition to Mars in midafternoon, then goes void of
course. If you decide on a major rewrite of something, be
brave but not manic. (continue reading…)
The Writer’s Astrological Almanac
by Kathy Watts
Happy Spring! Congratulations on weathering the storms of March. May there be more sun, warmth, and green growing things in our immediate future! Mercury may be retrograde, but that can be a good thing (yes, you heard me right). Think clearly, carefully, perhaps a bit more slowly (although with Mercury in Aries, how slow can it be?), and deeply. Be grateful for a bit of restraint and a slight curb on what otherwise might be shameless mental mania.
April starts off on a Friday, the day of the week special to Venus and all things charming and lovely. The Moon is void of course in Pisces (and not yet in Aries, for better or worse) when Mars changes signs and enters his home sign of Aries. In a month like this, we could set the world on fire, so be careful and make good choices all month long!
Sat Apr 02 the Moon conjuncts Mars in Aries. Be primed for a high-energy weekend, and remember to take notes, as there may be little time to compose it all properly. Not quite a couple of hours later, the Moon conjuncts Uranus in Aries. This can be more high-energy surprises, some of which best belong in fiction. Don’t let the stunning stuff pass by unnoticed. Writers are notorious for being observant, after all. It’s also the day before the New Moon (yes, in combustible Aries). Drive safely, especially if you’re in a little red car. Be cautious but not paranoid. Heads Up.
Sun Apr 03 is the New Moon at 13Ari. Inspiration is a form of high energy. If you’re not already fired up about your work, perhaps now’s the time to ask for that. Midday, the Moon conjuncts Jupiter, in Aries. This conjunction so close to a new moon makes it even more powerful. Be wide open to massive good luck, and don’t narrowly dictate what form it takes. Two hours later Mars conjuncts Uranus, in Aries. Mars on his alone is combustible. With Uranus, things can be explosive. In Aries (ruled by Mars, don’t forget) it can be more high-yield than “usual” (not that anything about Uranus is usual). I may stay in today and work on my disaster novel. (continue reading…)
Please come join me for an astrological feast!!
International Astrology Day * San Francisco
March 19th in a celebration of Astrology
International Astrology Day (IAD) is an annual observance/holiday celebrated by astrologers and astrology enthusiasts. It is held on the spring equinox, the day the Sun enters Aries, which is the first sign of the Tropical Zodiac, and has long been considered the astrological new year. In observance of IAD the Association For Astrological Networking (AFAN) co-ordinates astrological lectures and events around the world. (continue reading…)
Back in 1675, Lilly and Coley published a small book with a large title:
‘Animae Astrologie Or a Guide for Astrologers being the considerations of the famous astrologer, Guido Bonatti faithfully rendered into English as also [yes ‘as’] the choice aphorisms of Cardan’s Seven Segments, translated and methodically digested under their proper heads...”
These are ‘choice’ fragments of much larger works. The Considerations are but a very tiny portion of Bonatti’s masterpiece ‘Astronomy.’ For centuries, this was all that was available of Bonatti’ and Cardano’s great masterpieces in English. I must say, this is just another example of why Nostradamus said what a wonderous age we live in. Thanks to the strident efforts of Dr. Ben Dykes, Guido Bonatti’s complete Astronomy is available at his website: Ben Dykes
I am eagerly awaiting Jerome Cardano’s complete, Seven Segments which, as I mentioned, Dr. Valerie Livina and Anton Grigoryev are presently completing, but I am grateful that they have allowed me to share a segment on our august website: The Seven Segments Perhaps it is the ‘old English’ fonts, but I am afraid, that some of our gentle Artists, may have concluded that these fragments of Bonatti and Cardano, are Lilly’s Considerations. They are not. Since Lilly’s Aphorisms don’t seem to get a lot of ‘interet action,’ I thought it might be timely to place Lilly’s actual Aphorisms, here. Whenever a chart does not go the way I thought it would, nine times out of ten, I have found the reason can be explained in one of Mr. Lilly’s 43 Considerations.
One more thing, some very brilliant teachers have confused Lilly’s aphorisms with ‘considerations before judgment.’ I really do not think that Mr. Lilly planned for us to read 43 rules, prior to reading a chart, they really do describe the pitfalls that are easy to fall into when working with horary clients. If you cannot memorize them, I suggest printing them out, and keeping them nearby. As time allows, I hope to be able to give explicit chart examples where some of these considerations have come in handy for me in the past.
APHORISMES and Considerations for
better judging any HORARY
1. See the Question be radicall, or fit to be judged; which is, when the Lord of the Ascendant and hour be of one nature or Triplicity.
2. Be not confident of the Judgment if either the 1st degrees or later of any Signe be ascending; if few degrees ascend, matter is not yet ripe for judgment if the later degrees arise, the matter of the question is elapsed. the matter of the question. and it’s probable the Querent hath been tampering with others, or despaires of any successe, however, the Heavens advise you not to meddle with it at that time.
3. The position of Saturn or Mars in the 10th, and they peregrine or unfortunate, or the South Node in that house,. the Artist hardly gets credit by that Question.
4. Judge not upon every slight motion, or without premeditation of the Querent, nor upon sight and triviall Questions, or when the Querent hath not wit to know what he would demand.
5. Have speciall regard to the strength and debility of the Moon, and it’s farre better the Lord of the Ascendant be unfortunate then she, for she brings unto us the strength and vertue of all the other Planets, and of one Planet to another.
6. Behold the condition of Saturn in every Question, he is naturally ill by his excesse of cold; Mars is of ill influence, because of his too much heat: in very truth, neither of them is cold or dry, but signifie so much in their vertue and operation, and therefore in all Questions they shew tardity and detriment in the Question, unlesse the Moon and they receive each other in the Signification.
7. See the condition of Jupiter and Venus be observed, who naturally are Fortunes and temperate, and never import any malice, unlesse by accident: where they are Significators without reception, they put forward the matter, but they best preforme the matter in question when they apply by Trine or Sextile, and to purpose when in Essentiall Dignities.
8. In every Question where Fortunes are Significators, hope well; but in Infortunes, then fear the worst, and accordingly order your businesse.
9. Generally consider the state of the Moon, for if she be void of course there’s no great hopes of the Question propounded, that it shall be effected; yet if she be in Cancer, Taurus, Sagittarius or Pisces, your fear may be lesse, for then she is not much impedited by being voyd of course.
10. See from what Planet the Moon is separated, that Planet shewes what has already been done: if from a Fortune good; if from a malevolent, ill; according to the nature of the house, &c.
11. The Application of the Moon shewes the present condition of the thing demanded, viz. her applying by a good aspect, and in a good house, to a good Planet, intimates the strong hopes of the thing intended.
12. The Application of the Moon to a Planet in his Fall, signifies anguish, trouble and delayes in the thing demanded.
13. A Retrograde Planet, or one in his first station, Significator in Question, denotes ill in the Question, discord and much contradiction.
14. We ought warily to consider if evill Planets be Significators in any thing, for if they predict evill in the thing quesited, the vengence is more heavy; if they foretell of any good, it’s lesse then what it expected, it’s imperfect, and nothing therein comes, without infinite solicitation and affliction, &c.
15. A Planet that is slow in motion, prolongs the thing quesited after, so that it’s hardly performed; the nature of the Signe wherein the Planet is, doth herein much advantage the judgment.
16. When Infortunes are Significators of any evill, doe you well consider if the Fortunes, viz. Jupiter or Venus, cast not any aspect unto them, then the evill intended formerly is lessened; doe so when the Fortunes are Significators.
17. If the Fortunes signifie any thing, and are cadent, or ill placed in Dignities, or behold not the Ascendant, or are Retrograde, then are they impedited, and shall performe little, if not received.
18. Notwithstanding Reception, if he be an Infortune, he performes but little; but if the same happen when the Fortunes are Significators, the thing is perfected.
19. A Planet Peregrine, viz. having no essentiall Dignities where he is, he is malicious beyond expression; if he be in essentiall Dignities, the lesse; for then he is like a noble soule that hath his enemy in his clutches, but scornes to hurt him.
20. And yet generalily, if Saturn or Mars be in House, Exaltation, Triplicity and Angles, and then have Signification in a Question, they performe the thing desired.
21. Confide not too much in the assistance a Fortune lends, unlesse he be in essentiall Dignities; for then he performes matters wholly, else but by halves.
22. When in a Question wherein both the Fortunes and Infortunes are either weak or equally ill placed, promise no successe upon that demand; deferre the Judgment untill the Heavens have a better Position.
23. Beware in all Judgments, when the Significator of the question is either Combust, or in Opposition to the Sun, he will then signifie nothing of the matter, no good, nor is be able to bring anything to perfection.
24. One Infortune joyned to another, if good be signified by their aspect, yet will it have no effect, or come to any thing: If they signifie evill, it’s probable that it may fall out with more malice then expected.
25. The Lord of the Ascendant out of his essentiall Dignities, Cadent, &c., shewes the Querent is out of all hopes in his businesse.
26. A Planet within 12 degrees of the Sun, is said to be under his Beames, and then hath no fortitude, let it be in what Signe it will; when a Planet is within 16 minutes of the Sun, he is said to be in Cazimi, or heat of the Sun, and then it’s an addition of fortune, and he is wonderous strong.
27. See to what Planet the Significator commits his disposition, and if Orientall or Occidentall; if it be to Saturn, Jupiter or Mars, and they Orientall, the matter is sooner performed; later, if Occidentall, doe the contrary in Venus and Mercury.
28. Observe if the Planet that is Significator of the thing desired, be in a fixed Signe, moveable or common: fixed Signes shew stability, and that the thing shall continue, whether it be begun, or is to be begun: common Signes shew the oft probability of perfecting the thing, and yet not its conclusion: moveable Signes shew a sudden resolution or conclusion of the matter one way or other. From hence we begin Foundations of Houses and Townes when Significators are fixed; short Journeys when they are in moveable: but in things wherein we define a mediocrity, we elect common Signes.
29. The Lord of the Ascendant or the Moon with the Head or Taile of the Dragon, brings damage to the Question propounded; see in what house they are in, and receive signification from thence.
30. Look whether the degree of the Ascendant, or place of the Signe the Significator is in, be the then place of any Eclipse at hand; though the matter propounded be in a faire way to be concluded, yet shall it insensibly receive prejudice when least is expected, and hardly be concluded.
31. If you find the Moon impedited in any Question, be it what it will, there will be the like stay, demur or hinderance in the thing quesited; and indeed there’s seldom good end comes of a Question where the Moon is impedited; if it be in going to Warre, you may feare the life of the Querent; if in a Journey, ill successe; if Marriage, an ill end of Wooing, &c.
32. If the Lord of the question or the Moon be in a Signe opposite to his owne house, as Mercury in Sagittarius or Pisces, &c., the Querent hath no good hopes of his demands, he despairs, nor doth he delight in it, nor doth he care whether it can be performed or not.
33. Consider diligently the Planet impediting the Signifier of the thing demanded, and what house he is either Lord of, or is posited in; from the nature or person of that house require the cause obstructing.
34. The neerer your Significator is to an Angle, the more good you may expect; lesse, if placed in a Succeedant house; little, if in a Cadent.
35. In all Questions, know there’s not so great an affliction to the Moon, as when she is in Conjunction with the SUN; the ill aspects of the infortunes doth much afflict her, but none so powerfull as her Combustion.
36. In any Question, see if an Infortune aspect your Significator, and whether they be both Peregrine, Retrograde, Cadent, or in Signes contrary to their owne nature, it may then be doubted they inferre such a mischiefe in the question, as is inevitable, according to naturall causes.
37. Planets that are Significators in any thing, if they are in Conjunction, and in a Signe agreeing to their owne nature, then the thing quesited after is brought to perfection with much ease and facility, else not.
38. Have special regard to the Significators, and whether any frustration or prohibition be before the perfect aspect: the Planet frustrating describes the party or cause hindering the matter demanded.
39. Ever consider the Part of Fortune, which if well dignified in any house, the Querent gets by men, or things denoted by that house; and so, if ill dignified, damage from thence.
40. In questions of Marriage, and unfortunate Planet in the 7th threatens ill agreement in Marriage, unlesse the same Planet be a Significator at the Birth.
41. If the Lord of the 8th be impedited or unfortunate in the
8th, the Querent shall receive prejudice by the death of some woman, or concerning some debts due unto him from men deceased.
42. In what house you find Jupiter and Venus well dignified, you may expect benefit from such men and things as are Signified by that house; as if in the 3rd, from Kindred; in the 4th, from Father, or by Lands, &c. in the 5th by Play, &c. and so in other houses.
43. Beware of men or things appertaining to the house wherein the South Node is. It seldome fails that the querent shall receive damage, scandal, or slander from men and matter signified by the house he is in.
“Things are not the way they used to be.
I wont tell no lie; One and all have to face reality now.
Though I’ve tried to find the answer to all the questions they ask.
Its just impossible to go livin’ through the past –
Dont tell no lie.
Theres a natural mystic blowing through the air – If you listen carefully now you will hear.”
-Robert Nesta Marley
Before an at times, audibly skeptical audience, President Ahmadinejad took his oath for a second term as president of Iran last week. For better or worse, the very second that a candidate goes from being a ‘regular’ person to the exalted status of ‘president’ every person living within the borders of the country, in this case, Iran, becomes literally ‘subject’ to that moment in time. If Ahmadinejad, and his band of mullahs were hoping to quell the massive dissent that has risen since his contested June election; this was certainly not the best time to hold an inauguration. From the looks of it, at best, there will be a lot of double talk from this administration, at its worst, they may paint themselves into a corner from which they may not be able to recover.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s inauguration as Iranian president for a second term was marked by opposition walkouts, demonstrations and criticism from his own conservative camp today as pressure mounted on the disputed winner of Iran’s election.
Senior officials and clerics attended the ceremony at Iran’s parliament but it was boycotted by many opposition leaders and moderate politicians. Those of the reform faction who did attend walked out when Ahmadinejad started speaking, according to the opposition website Parleman News.
Virgo, the sign of minutiae, rises in the east. The sign Virgo can be likened to the old fable of the princess and the pea. No matter how high the pillows are stacked, there will always be a certain amount of discomfort. Perhaps it is the angelic half of Virgo being forced to face the ugly realities of life on this imperfect earth, that makes it the complainer of the zodiac. I don’t know. I do know that when we see Virgo rising in a world chart, its a good can bet the natives will be restless. The Sun is the brightest of all the celestial bodies. Without its light, we could not live. The king was considered god’s representative on earth. This is why the ancients made the Sun the natural ruler of kings and rulers, and the Moon to the citizenry. It is an all or nothing proposition, because the ruler and people are at odds, and are both in signs of fixity, so neither side will budge. Ahmadinejad’s attempt at compromise, choosing as he did, a reformist vice president, only served to harden the stance of the members of his own conservative party, some of whom, walked out during his ceremony. However, one should never underestimate, Ahmadinejad. He is not without friends. He is the Sun, strong and at home, in the royal Leo, and placed in the 11th. Like the Sun, his inaugural speech repeatedly called for taking ‘great acts.’ This might imply his government will certainly try to dominate the will of his people. However, taking a closer look, it becomes apparent that without the support of the army, this administration is lost. This is because there is but one solar aspect ahead, the weakest of all, a sextile to Mars, thus begging question, how many of your people can you beat and throw behind bars?
Why? First and foremost, this chart looks like a ship without an anchor. The type of sign rising was very important to the ancients, for it spelled out the durability of the event. We see double bodied or mutable signs on the angles (1, 4, 7 and 10). This is a shaky start. Mutable signs have the ability to exist two different worlds, simultaneously. Gemini (two people), Virgo (angels wings on human body) Sagittarius (half man half horse) and Pisces (two fish swimming in opposite directions). There is no doubt that this ‘morphing’ makes them the most versatile signs of the zodiac. However, it becomes easy to scatter their forces. Duplicity often results. There will be those who profess to be on the side of the president, but are not, and there will be those who profess to be reformers, but also are not. It implies, the see saw effect, in which the government starts out one direction, but will be forced to change course.
It should surprise nobody that the winged messenger, god/goddess of communications, Mercury, owns both the house both of the people, and that of the government. Mercury is strong in his own sign of Virgo, but all its brilliance is chained, imprisoned as it is, in the 12th. Lilly said that the 12th house represented:
‘Men who maliciously undermine their neighbors or inform secretly against them.’
In other words, Mercury in the 12th, is the epitome, of the Judas, who smiles so sweetly to your face, professing undying loyalty, while selling you out for 30 pieces of silver. Watching ones back, may be not only be good advice, but the way to survive. When we see both citizen’ and government in the so placed, that old cold war cartoon, ‘Spy vs. Spy’ comes to mind, where nobody can be fully trusted. In such a situation, sabotage becomes the norm.
Ever break an old fashioned thermometer? Remember trying to scoop up the pieces of the Mercury, and how it would slip from your fingers? The same is true of words. No matter how hard they try, the messages will get out. It is time for the mullah to face reality. There is a whole other world out there. Dialogue with the opposition is a must. Even the most sophisticated surveillance equipment will not bring submission.
Since the same planet owns both citizen and president, we turn to the natural rulers for specifics.
After all, a nation is only as good as the people that inhabit it. They want more freedom, and represented by the fixed Moon in Aquarius, Ahmadinejad should not discount their tenacity. After all, Aquarius is a sign of stubborn thought. Strong arming the people will only serve to strengthen their resolve. Given that more than 40% of the population is under 30; time really is on their side. With the Moon in early degrees, this defiance is only in its gestation. Saturn hovering at the Ascendant, increases the dissatisfaction. Oil,the national product, is on the decline. The government will not be able to give as generously to their support base as they had in the past. This story is far from over. Mercury’s upcoming September retrograde may give this administration something to think about.
It may be the year of the bull, but will markets listen? The year, 4,707 in the Chinese calendar arrived on Monday, heralding in the year of the ox or cow. To my way of thinking, this is the ‘real’ based upon the lunar calendar. The western calendar, the so called Julian-Gregoian, which starts on January first each year, is but a man made creation. In other words, it is not based upon anything cosmic. I, therefore, much prefer to celebrate this annual beginning instead.
Friday’s child is said to be giving… perhaps Bernie thought he was?
As per request, here is my rectification of Bernard Madoff. I believe using western and eastern methods that he was born at 6:30 a.m., Bronx, NY. This gives him a 18 Taurus rising. It is interesting that 18 Taurus places his rising sign in the Lunar mansion, Barani, which is said to be an empty cup. Certainly, for those who invested with him, his cup only appeared to runneth over. Again, this is a rectification, so therefore, it is subject to change if some intrepid astro-sleuth has any friends in birth records in Albany, who can get a birth certificate, please let me know.
Happy New Years!!
Welcome all new members, and friends!!
While we are on the subject of Bernie Madoff, I have been alerted that back in June of 2006, the very brilliant astrologer, Ruhama Veltfort received a question asking whether he should invest in x fund. Which she shared with our august list. Well, x fund turns out to be Bernard Madoff! Angelicus Merlin As usual, with a Bernie Madoff fund, everything is shrouded in such secrecy, that the client didn’t even want to mention the name of the fund…but it turned out to be Bernard Madoff’s ponzi fund!!